Wednesday, April 18, 2007

He didn’t have to do this!

Gunman sent package to NBC News ‘I didn’t have to do this,’ says message mailed between shootings
By Alex Johnson

Sometime after he killed two people in a Virginia university dormitory but before he slaughtered 30 more in a classroom building Monday morning, Cho Seung-Hui mailed NBC News a large package, including photographs and videos, lamenting that “I didn’t have to do this.” Cho, 23, a senior English major at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, killed 32 people in two attacks before taking his own life. NBC News President Steve Capus said the network received the package, which was not addressed to a specific person, in Tuesday afternoon’s mail delivery, but it was not opened until Wednesday morning. The network immediately turned the materials over to FBI agents in New York. The package included an 1,800-word manifesto-like statement diatribe in which he expresses rage, resentment and a desire to get even. The material is “hard-to-follow ... disturbing, very disturbing — very angry, profanity-laced,” Capus said in an interview late Wednesday afternoon. The material does not include any images of the shootings Monday, but it does contain vague references. “I didn’t have to do this. I could have left. I could have fled. But no, I will no longer run. It’s not for me. For my children, for my brothers and sisters that you fucked, I did it for them,” Cho says on one of the videos.

Were you a witness? Tell us your story

COMMENT: What in the world can I say to this development? Is it the ravings of a madman? Well? Is it?.... "Oh he's just crazy!" Is that it? Or is it time for the old tried and true: "We should get back to our lives and put this behind us." Probably. The media. Our media. CNN, MSNBC and FOX have been reporting that this is the "worst massacre in US history". Is that true? Really? Well it might be. Hell...I don't know. But I think for my own sense of sanity I'm going to go ahead and do a little research. I'll get back to you on this...

Professor Taylor

No comments: